Hey guys! It’s Jennie, from Garlic, My Soul here. Today, I have a recipe for you that I am always making – the perfect avocado toast to pair with a most perfect hotel, the Hotel Vitale in San Francisco. This hotel is right on the water on the Embarcadero, and is a great place to act as home-base for your travels in SF.
In the heart of San Francisco, within walking distance to the Ferry Building (with an amazing farmers market several days a week) or a quick cab to Fisherman’s Wharf, this modern hotel has everything you need to feel luxurious and equally at home. With so much to do nearby, I figured a breakfast that’s quick, hearty, but also light was the way to go. Plus, I wanted to create a truly Californian breakfast, inspired by the produce of the state and of course, the sourdough bread from San Francisco that’s unparalleled – there’s just nothing like a fresh loaf of sourdough from the city.
This avocado toast brings in what I found locally, but feel free to play with your toppings – that’s what summer produce is all about! Find some great tomatoes? Pile ‘em on. Those radishes looking particularly good? Those work too. Mix and match because the more flavor, the better – just don’t forget a hearty layer of avocado first, with enough salt and pepper to spice it up!
Avocado Toast on Sourdough – Serves 1
- 2 slices fresh sourdough bread
- 1 avocado, quartered
- 10 mini heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 handful micro greens
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2-3 small sweet peppers, sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper (or omnivorve salt)
- Quarter your avocado. Then, cut your heirloom tomatoes, radishes, and peppers.
- Toast your slices of bread. Meanwhile, mash avocado, salt and pepper, and lemon juice.
- When your bread is toasted, layer with: avocado, tomatoes, goat cheese on one piece.
- Layer on the other piece: avocado, micro greens, radishes, and peppers on the other.
- Top with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with fresh berries and coffee, then get out to see that city!