On Sunday, September 29, the Pardee Home Museum will open is beautiful back garden for a benefit waffle brunch and jazz concert. The event will benefit both the Museum and the performing group, the Oakland Technical High School Jazz Band. Refreshments will include bacon, waffles and toppings and assorted beverages including sparkling wine. In addition to the food and music, house tours will be offered and are included in the entry price. Here's a bit of information about the Pardee family and their home: The Pardee Home was constructed in 1868/9 for Enoch and Mary Pardee. Enoch was a "49er" turned eye doctor. Originally the couple lived in San Francisco with their son, George. They had the house built and moved to Oakland in response to Mary's health. Sadly, however, Mary died soon after the move. George grew up with his father, attended the University of California, the medical school in Leipzig, and ultimately joined his father's medical practice in 1885. George married in 1887 and started a family of his own in Oakland. Enoch remarried, and sired a daughter, but both he and his daughter passed away in 1896. At that time George, his wife Helen (Mrs. Helen) and four daughters moved into the house. Two of George's daughters died prematurely in the early 20th century, and George and his wife died in the 1940's. The remaining two daughters, Madeline and Helen, never married and lived in the house until their deaths in 1980 and 1981. In her will, Helen, the last surviving daughter, provided for the home to become a museum and established the Pardee Home Foundation to operate it. During their lives Enoch and George both served on the Oakland City Council and as mayor of the city. Enoch served in the state legislature and George as Governor. Following his governorship, George's interest in public health led him to become the founding father of East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD). Mrs. Helen was a genteel Victorian lady who was an avid collector of a wide variety of objects who also dabbled in various forms of art. During their tenure, George and his wife expanded the house to accommodate their large household (which included various relatives over time) and Mrs. Helen's expanding collections. The two surviving daughters did little to alter the house following their parents' deaths, and, as a result, the Pardee Home Museum holds intact virtually all of furniture, art, household items and knick-knacks that were accumulated over three generations, more than a century, of Pardee occupancy. The tales that go with these artifacts involve Yosemite Park, women's suffrage, and civil unrest, among other topics. George and Helen were very supportive of the University of California, donating both money and real estate to the school. There are three endowed chairs on the Berkeley campus funded by the Pardees. The name George C. Pardee has been inscribed in the wall flanking the steps to the Doe Library as one of the "Builders of the University". The Pardee Home Foundation and the operation of the Museum are staffed totally by volunteers. As a private institution, the Pardee Home Foundation receives virtually no public operating money. It pays its taxes and funds its activities from a modest endowment, the conducting of tours, the hosting of teas, the occasional rental of the garden, and various benefit events. Public attendance at these events is crucial to the survival of the Museum. Please show your support for one of Oakland's beautiful, historical sites and the talented student musicians of Oakland Tech.