Committee Meeting: AIA SF The Missing 32% Project (free)
Aug 1 2013
12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
SF Design Center Gallery
101 Henry Adams Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
12:30 – 12:45pm Summary of 1st meeting, key goals and confirm consensus. (attached for reference)
• Proposed Name of Group: The Missing 32% Project
• Proposed Mission Statement:
· Our profession does not reflect the diversity of the communities, users, or clients we serve. Our mission is to promote the strategic execution of best practices in the recruitment, hiring, retention and promotion of our profession’s best resources in order to expand diversity and inclusion in architectural firms at every level. Initial areas of focus will be the inclusion and promotion of women within architectural practice and improving access to licensure for all members of the profession
12:45 – 1:45pm
• Chair and Co-Chairs – For the purposes of setting up the group and getting things started, the proposed group was part of the panel at the The Missing 32% Syposium “Building Communications andNegotiation Skills”. We can re-evaluate in 6-8 months?
Chair – Rosa Sheng
Co-Chairs – Saskia Dennis Van Dijl, Trudi Hummel, Laurie Dreyer
• 1st Proposed Initiative – Research Project – Survey of broad range of San Francisco Firms on the
· current status of the following:
· Women in Leadership Positions/Overall number of Women in firms who are architects/interns
· Licensure – Support for interns in terms of firm financed exam fees, time off to take exams, etc.
· Employee Benefits for Women/Men (Vacation Days, Sick Days, Health Insurance, Health and
· Family Leave, etc)
· Ratio of Men/Women Architects/Interns in Firm
• Discuss formation of Sub-Group to spearhead Research Project Initiative
· Create a Grant Proposal for Research Project Initiative and solicit supporting firms to help fund
· the project (Determine amount required to complete.
· Look at other research projects regarding the questions “Why do Women leave Architecture?”
· and “Why do we need diversity in the workplace?”
• Discuss if this group will assist AIASF or lead the planning of future annual symposium.
• More Awareness – 50/50 Petition and Incentives for Firms to participate (awards/recognition programs,
· features in social media)
• Discuss Other Projects/Initiatives that the group would like to accomplish.
1:45 - 2:00pm – Summary and Next steps
• Please join the google group to keep informed of future meetings and progress of intiatives
• Please encourage others to attend future meetings if they are interested in participating
• Future meetings will be generally on the last Thursday of the month 12:30pm-2pm. Please see the
• Google Group Calendar for confirmation.
Note: Lunch is generally brown bag. Occasionally, we may be lucky to get a lunch sponsored by a participating person’s firm. This meeting’s lunch is graciously being sponsored by Laurie Dreyer w/ Stantec. We thank you for your support.