As sure as the world keeps on spinning, the cultural revolution keeps on turning, so it’s high time we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of The Summer of Love.
A pivotal moment in 1967 when over 100,000 young people traveled to San Francisco to change the world, this revolution changed our ideas of conformity and acceptance forever.
Experience the Summer of Love at one of our JDV San Francisco Hotels!
Joie de Vivre’s collection of San Francisco hotels are spreading peace, love and great deals in honor of the 50th Anniversary of the Summer of Love. Featuring a groovy line-up of exhibitions, performances, literary events, and tribute concerts, this yearlong celebration of San Francisco’s counter culture with a 1960’s throwback will pay homage to the free spirits that paved the way to a radical movement that was embraced by the rest of the world. Join in the celebration and enjoy a special Summer of Love offer at our San Francisco JDV hotels, now through December.
Summer of Love offer includes:
- Up to 20% off rates
- Complimentary bottle of Zinfandelic wine (upon arrival)
- Complimentary WiFi
Book direct or enter the code JDVLOVES67. Offer is valid now through December. Some restrictions and blackout dates may apply.
JDV is spreading more LOVE for the Summer of Love with these exclusive offers from our San Francisco boutique hotels:
- Hotel Carlton is “Sowing the Seeds of Love” and giving guests a small terracotta pot amenity with flowers seeds to take home with them to plant.
- Hotel Del Sol is offering a pair of sunglasses as a welcome amenity to accompany the complimentary Zinfandelic wine.
- Hotel Rex is offering complimentary munchies every Wednesday from 5-6pm, as well as playing a playlist from the 1960’s. Also, get the chance to win a gift certificate to Amoeba Records on Haight the first week of June!
- The Marker Hotel is offering a group meeting’s package, which includes Flower Power Hour Welcome, Munchie Welcome, Psychedelic Upgrades, Meditation Stress-free break and free meeting room rental.
- Hotel Vitale is offering “Flower Power Sundays” and giving guests who check in on a Sunday in May a flower.
- Galleria Park is giving guests “love” with a complimentary ride within 1-2 mile radius of the hotel between 7-9am when mentioning “Summer of Love” upon check in. During the weekly wine hours, Galleria Park will also be raffling a bottle of Zinfandelic wine to anyone that is present between 5:30-6:30pm.
- Hotel Kabuki is offering a Summer of Love sake hour between 4-5pm every Monday-Friday, which includes housemade Sake fruit chutney, artisan soft cheese, crusty baguette, and Zinfandelic wine.
- The Laurel Inn is offering a complimentary Summer of Love special cocktail.
And The Beat Goes On
It all started with The Beats. While an outsider spirit dating back to San Francisco’s Barbary Coast days is firmly woven into this city’s cultural fabric, a new bohemian streak first made its mark on the North Beach scene.
As these rebel souls evolved into free spirits, Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti, Kerouac and Kesey gave way to Jerry, Janis and Country Joe, and San Francisco soon became a magnet for a “new, free society” ready to escape the restrictions and hang-ups of societal norms.
A “new, free society” was born ready to fly, and 20,000 souls found their first public expression in the winter of 1967 at the “Gathering of the Tribes for a Human Be-In.”
The Medium Really Was The Message
A gathering united by peace and acceptance, the Summer of Love’s collective soul spawned a hundred other movements for freedom and equality — and we’d be the last ones to deny a certain influence on our own philosophy, as we celebrate The Joy of Life every day at Joie de Vivre.
Summer of Love Art Happenings
- Pier 39’s Summer of Love Dance Party with live music and more groovy stuff | Friday, June 23.
- Haight-Ashbury Street Festival’s 40th Anniversary party takes over with dancing in the streets for live bands, local foods, microbrews and freak flag flying right where it all started | June 2017
- Summer Solstice Celebrations feature a constellation of events, ranging from wine tastings to sailboat regattas, throughout San Francisco’s neighborhoods | June 20-21
- The Folsom Street Fair is a living, breathing counter-culture festival known as the world’s largest gathering of leather fetish enthusiasts from around the world | Sept. 25.
- The Castro Street Fair is our much-beloved celebration of acceptance and LGBT rights in the spirit of the Summer of Love | Oct. 2
- Fillmore Jazz Festival takes place in one of the Summer of Love hotspots and showcases Bay Area jazz and blues legends in an outdoor setting ideal for families and | July 1-2
Summer of Love Art Exhibits
- “Summer of Love: Art, Fashion, and Rock & Roll”: A celebration of San Francisco’s counterculture featuring iconic posters and psychedelic art, plus interactive music and light shows. April 8-Aug. 20. de Young Museum
- “Jim Marshall’s 1967″ features 80 photographs from this legendary photographer’s year shooting Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Hell’s Angels and Jimi Hendrix. Opens Jan. 26, San Francisco City Hall.
- “Hippie Modernism: The Struggle for Utopia” focuses on counterculture art, design, and architecture from the ‘60s and early ‘70s. Feb. 8-May 21. UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
- “On the Road to the Summer of Love” showcases iconic Summer of Love images curated by Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally | May 12 – Sept. 10, California Historical Society
- “Flower Power” is an exhibition of 40 masterworks epitomizing the expressive and communicative power of flowers in Asian art and culture | June 16 – Oct. 1, Asian Art Museum
Summer of Love Tours
- San Francisco Love Tours: Ride an authentic VW hippie bus and experience a modern day San Francisco that’s infused with the spirit of the ’60s.
- Flower Power Walking Tours: This guided tour through the Haight-Ashbury allows you to walk in the footsteps of icons like Janis Joplin and Jerry Garcia as you learn about the music and pop culture of the Summer of Love.
- Wild SF Walking Tours: Led by local artist guides, this walking tour shares the stories of the counter-culture heroes who revolutionized our society.
- Magic Bus Experience: This interactive time-travel adventure features a mind-bending combination of film, music, and theater that encapsulates the highlights of the Summer of Love.
- Avital Food Tours: Take a culinary walking tour through Haight-Ashbury and other Summer of Love neighborhoods, where you’ll learn about the local food co-ops, restaurants, and chefs who helped revolutionize the way we eat.
- Foot! Fun Walking Tours: “Flashback: From the Summer of Love to the Winter of Discontent” takes the intrepid traveler on a two-hour tour through the heart of the Haight-Ashbury district and to the locations of some of the most memorable events of the era.
- Detour’s Walking Tour: Narrated by Summer of Love activist Peter Coyote, this GPS audio walk tour takes you through the epicenter of the Summer of Love’s counter-culture movement.