Hey everyone! Jennie from Garlic, My Soul here! For my next “Breakfast in Bed” post I was inspired by Ventana Inn and Spa in Big Sur. This hotel is gorgeous – it has inspiring vistas, hiking trails that stretch for miles, and a first class spa that’s just the place to relax when spending a weekend in the woods.
Paired with this stunning and tranquil locale, I wanted to share with you a recipe for a full breakfast: sourdough pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, a clementine or two, and of course a mimosa to start your day of adventuring, relaxing, or pampering off right! If you don’t have sourdough starter, you can make your own – the longer you can culture the better, and these are worth the wait!
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- olive oil
- You’ll use your sourdough starter for this recipe, and since I’m no baking expert, I would recommend following King Arthur Flour’s directions, here.
- Beat eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to eggs.
- Add egg mixture to your 2 cups sourdough starter.
- Over medium low heat, heat a cast iron skillet with a drizzle of olive oil. When it’s heated, ladle pancake batter into pan – make two or three at a time, about three inches in diameter, depending on the size of your pan. Heat until pancakes start to bubble, then flip using a spatula. Cook for about one minute on the opposite side, until set, then move to a plate and place in an oven (on warm or proof) and repeat with all batter until done.
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- To make your scrambled eggs, simply heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium low heat. While it’s warming, take two eggs and beat them well in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- When the pan is warm, add your eggs and slowly cook, folding over with a rubber spatula until they’re cooked, but not too stiff. Serve warm!