Hello everyone! Jennie here, from Garlic, my Soul. This week I wanted to bring you a seafood inspired breakfast for a truly inspiring hotel.
The Santa Cruz Dream Inn is a beach side hotel that brings the ocean in at every turn. With bay views from every room, this retro-chic hotel is the perfect place to get a breakfast that’s a little out of the ordinary. Stay with me here – normally for breakfast if you think seafood, you think salmon. For this recipe, I wanted to try something different – so I decided Shrimp & Grits with an egg sunny side up was the perfect start to a day of surfing, wandering Santa Cruz, or just daydreaming on a balcony overlooking Monterey Bay. Paired with a healthy fruit salad, this breakfast will fill you up and fuel you to keep you happy and healthy – which is all you’d ask for on a vacation, right?
Shrimp & Grits (serves 2)
- ½ cup grits, cooked to package directions
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- ¼ Parmesan cheese
- 6 strips bacon
- 10 shrimp
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Cook grits according to your package directions.
- While your grits are cooking, start cooking your bacon.
- Once the grits are cooked, add cheddar, Parmesan, and a pinch of salt to grit.
- When your bacon is done cooking (I recommend extra crispy!) remove and let cool.
- Using the bacon grease, cook your shrimp until pink throughout – this should take only about five minutes.
- Once your shrimp are done, remove from heat. Spray the pan if necessary, then cook eggs sunny side up until whites set and yolks are just set – about five minutes.
- Layer a plate with grits and shrimp, followed by your egg. Season with salt and pepper, then crumble bacon over the top (or serve on the side!) Enjoy hot.
Pomegranate & Apple Salad
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 apple
- ½ lemon, for juice
- pinch cinnamon
- Cut pomegranate and remove arils.
- Dice your apple.
- Combine together and serve with a spritz of lemon juice and pinch of cinnamon.